Improving the efficiency of water use is the most cost-effective and immediate way to conserve water. The department works with developers, local government and industry professionals to improve overall water use efficiency.
It is essential that consideration of water sensitive urban design principles, fit-for-purpose water sources and efficient water use are incorporated into parkland planning and design. Where applicable, landscaping of new parks and ovals should align with local government's planning policies.
Information is provided on the links below.
- North-west corridor water supply strategy
- Turf Research Program (University of Western Australia)
- Public Parkland Planning & Design Guide (WA)
Saving water at home
Around half of Perth's household water goes on gardens and outdoor areas. But there are some simple things that we can all do inside and outside our homes to save water.
The department has produced some brochures to help you save water around the house:
- Planting a native garden
- Top 10 tips
- Protecting groundwater
- Being waterwise in the home
- Being waterwise in the garden
- Garden bore information
- Domestic watering rosters
- Winter sprinkler switch-off
- Water use efficiency programs
Further information email@example.com